Electric Air Hammers also known as Jackhammer is a pneumatic or electro-mechanical tool, used for drilling purposes. They are used to break concrete, rock and pavement. To increase the efficiency of the drill, compressed air is used. It is also called as great air hammer , since the electric motor is connected to a power source. The other type of jackhammers is connected to a battery.
There are both hand-held jackhammers and large jackhammers. Hand-held jackhammers are operated by electric motors. Whereas, larger jackhammers are hydraulically powered, mostly used in construction sites.
There are several types of jackhammer bits, each design for a specific job.
- Two or more common bit types include the pointed bit for general breaking.
- The flat tipped bit, which allows for direction control are used for final edge finishing.
- Shovel or spade provides fine edging and flat finish for concrete.
- Flex chisel is flexible metal blade for tile removal and scraping.
- Bushing Tool has got multiple carbide points for cleaning up seams and knocking down rough spots in concrete.
These bits can be re-sharpened. After re-sharpened they must be heat treated.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Jackhammers:
- When the jackhammer is working, the sound of the machine is unbearable so it is recommended to wear ear plugs, while working with jackhammer. Wearing safety glasses and hard hat is also safe.
- It is important to know that, Jackhammer when in use shakes your entire body, your body observes lot of shocks. So it is appropriate to take breaks frequently, instead of working continuously. Keep a jackhammer at a safe distance from the body, by extending your arms to a comfortable distance from the body.
- Always keep the Lift Assist on the left-hand side of the operator and the jackhammer.
- Standard procedure is, always avoid bearing the jackhammer bit.
- Always cut from right to left. When operating, lean the jackhammer in the direction of the next cut, to make your work easy.
How does a Jackhammer works?
The air pumps from the compressor into the jackhammer through a valve on one side, when the handle of the jackhammer is pressed.
Inside the hammer, has two pistons. Drive piston and free flight piston. During the movement both the pistons do not touch each other. Inside the hammer the drive piston when pressed compresses the air in the cylinder, which in turn pushes the flight piston against a striker, which pounds into the drill bit mashing it into the ground.
The air circulates in the opposite direction as the valve inside the tube network flips over. The worker relaxes for some time, short time later the valve flips over again and the whole process repeats.
Drills into the ground 1500 times in a minute.
Types of Jackhammers:
- Hydraulic Jackhammer
- Electropneumatic Jackhammer
Know about different types of jackhammers and its functions. Take precautions before using the jackhammers. Work safe with electric air hammers.